Times They Are A-Changin'
|Times They Are A-Changin'|
|Dates run:||February 17th, 2012|
|Read the logs:||Times They Are A-Changin'|
There isn't yet any news on what caused the manifestations, but there haven't been any reports of repeat incidents, either.
A fieldtrip to a mutant awareness rally attended by the Friends of Humanity goes very wrong . . . for the Friends of Humanity.
PCs: Molly Hayes, Layla Miller, Madelyne Pryor, Artie Maddicks, Sarah Vale, Meggan Szardos, Megan Gwynn, Korvus Rook'shir, Matt Murdock, Yvette Petrovic, Garrison Kane, Wade Wilson, David Haller, Angelo Espinosa, Jean-Phillipe Colbert, Theresa Cassidy, Scott Summers
When the school plans a trip to an event sponsored by Juanita Espinosa group, Parents, Family and Friends of Mutants (PFOM), the Friends of Humanity use the opportunity to stage a demonstration of their own. Though the demonstration itself initially defies the expectations of both local police and the FBI, a number of the FOHers abruptly, and violently, manifest mutant powers within the space of several minutes.
While the adults struggle with crowd control and countering the manifestations, a number of the students work to mitigate the tertiary effects of the chaos. With Maddie nearly blowing out her brain to provide a path through the crowd, Sarah manages to activate the sprinkler systems to combat the fires. Artie applies his powers to distracting a flaming FOHer only to find himself working alongside another to free a trapped girl. Meanwhile, Molly double-teams with Wade against a grossly over-muscled man delirious with pain, only to find that where brawn fails, Pixie's psychotropics prevail.
There are a handful of injuries. Jean-Phillipe is incapacitated when drained of his powers, requiring some improvisation by Meggan and, with a slightly non-standard application of Nandaki by Korvus. Layla, too, is sent to the ER for overexertion when she raises a child killed by a stray blast. It is her first human reanimation.
SHIELD arrives afterwards to collect the affected FOHers while emergency services dealt with the injured. Matt applies his power towards tracking down a missing FOHer with Angelo and Terry, while Sarah manages to rip information from one of the victim's phones for Garrison for future analysis. Though SHIELD, in a fit of irony, took the FOH victims to The Vault for containment and care, the perpetrator of the incident remains unknown.
Victims and their mutations
- Nick Chapman: Husband of a woman paralyzed in Day Zero. Manifested grossly exaggerated musculature. Unsuccessfully pummeled by Wade and Molly, eventually calmed by Pixie's dust.
- Stephanie Halverson: Lost her arm in Day Zero. Co-worker of Diana Chapman. Manifested telekinesis, countered by Haller and a well-placed trashcan from Garrison.
- Rich: Manifested as an electrokinetic. Contained by Meggan and Korvus' use of Nandaki as lightning rod.
- Michael Apfelbeck Jr.: 16 year old who mutated into a sloth-like creature with deadly sharp talons. Recovered by Matt, Terry and Angelo.
- Ron Koch: Sprouted spiny growths across his body which threatened to puncture internal organs. Assisted by Yvette and Pixie.
- Unidentified Victim #1: Flesh and fatty tissues expanded rapidly, nearly smothering his wife. Blackberry recovered by Sarah and milked of information.
- Unidentified Victim #2: Exuded a biological substance that ignited on contact with oxygen. Subdued by Angelo and a fireblanket.
- Unidentified Victim #3: Became a dense, poisonous gas. Was eventually contained by the combined efforts of Scott and Terry when he was forced into water, where he became soluble.
Trivia and Meta
- Sooraya Qadir missed the dubious fun of the event due to an appointment at Empire State University.
- First instance of SOME GUY WITH A PRINTER'S MUTANT NEWS FOR MUTANTS's Twitter account, @MutantNewsNYC, being used to alert the mutant community of an imminent demonstration by an anti-mutant group.
- After hearing the FOH were expected at the event, Sarah Vale and Doug Ramsey may or may not have vandalized the FOH webpage.